With the holidays comes travel. Assignment Reporter Katie Baker says the Sheriff’s department has some tip to help your journey be a safe one for you and your family…
This holiday season, the Sheriff’s Department would like to share some travel safety tips.
- Make sure your car is ready for travel. It’s a good idea to have your mechanic inspect your anti-freeze, battery, and windshield wipers. Also, make sure your tires are inflated to the proper level.
- Have a communication plan that includes telephone numbers of essential contacts and a way to contact them (either with a cell phone of long distance calling card).
- Inform friends or family of your travel route, destination, and expected arrival time.
- Have a photo ID for each person, including children. If proper identification is not available, take a picture and write important information on the back.
- Pack emergency supplies, including a flashlight, batteries, a first aid kit, and bottled water.
- Check local weather forecasts and then adjust your route, timing, and supplies as needed.